A poem seldom arrive clean.
It comes in through the window
with dust on its knees,
carrying one cracked cup,
one unpaid bill,
one mother’s voice pressed
against the wrong side of a door.
It rarely ask for a desk.
It sits on the floor
beside the body
and begins taking attendance.
Here is the throat,
still functioning as a checkpoint.
Here is the stomach,
refusing citizenship.
Here is the girl under the desk,
still waiting for the bell
to mispronounce freedom.
A poem should never be used as a lantern.
Do not insult it with usefulness.
A poem is the matchstick
struck inside a locked room,
not enough to save anyone,
but... just enough to prove
there was oxygen here once.
Sometimes it is a witness statement.
Sometimes it is the broken crayon
smuggled out of childhood.
Sometimes it is my own handwriting
dragging a chair
to the centre of the court
and saying:
your honour,
the body remembers
what the father edited out.
As I have said before,
I do not write
I do not write
because language heals.
I write because silence
keeps trying to inherit me.
I write because the wound
has developed clerical skills
and keeps misfiling my life
under manageable woman.
I write because somewhere
inside this humiliating machinery
there is still a small illegal door
with my name misspelled on it.
The poem finds it first.
Then it waits,
barefoot,
ink-mouthed,
disobedient,
until I remember
I love this. As I read I could hear a poet, having memorized it, performing it with vehemence. My favorite stanza I think is:
ReplyDeleteA poem should never be used as a lantern.
Do not insult it with usefulness.