Friday, May 8, 2026

[dVerse] May 7th - The Fog Has My House Keys

The Fog Has My House Keys

The fog comes in
like it has been here before.

Not dramatically.
No doorbell.
No throat-clearing at the gate.
No screaming.
No door-slamming.

Just a soft trespass
over the balcony railing,
through the laundry clips,
past the basil plant
that has seen too much
and says nothing.

By midnight,
the buildings lose their surnames.

The streetlights become
small government offices
processing applications
for disappearance.
Outside, men in uniform guide
dispossession in a line.

Even the stray dog
below my window
forgets his argument
with the moon.

I stand there,
holding a cup of tea
gone cold from wilful neglect,
and watch the world
misplace itself politely.

There is mercy in this. (Please...)

How kindly the fog
edits the city,
removing sharp edges,
pending bills,
unanswered messages,
the exact shape
of my own face
in the glass.

For a few minutes,
I am not required
to be clear.

Not daughter.
Not employee.
Not woman definitely.
Not a worker
with a calendar full
of practical weather.

Only breath.

Only blur.

Only some small animal
passing through the chest,
quiet-footed,
unclaimed,
already leaving.

~ Oizys.

Written for dVerse Open Link Night #407. Inspired by their given optional mini prompt from Carl Sandburg’s Fog, especially the line “The fog comes on little cat feet.”

12 comments:

  1. I really love this! You have done an excellent job describing fog outside and inside!

    I stand there,
    holding a cup of tea
    gone cold from wilful neglect,
    and watch the world
    misplace itself politely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Dwight. I am so glad you liked that image! Cold tea from wilful neglect is embarrassingly accurate to my actual life, so... haha!

      Delete
  2. The title of your poem hooked me and my expectations are fulfilled – I especially love these lines:
    ‘Just a soft trespass
    over the balcony railing,
    through the laundry clips,
    past the basil plant
    that has seen too much
    and says nothing’

    and

    ‘How kindly the fog
    edits the city,
    removing sharp edges’.

    And the final stanza!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kim. Good to see you beyond NaPoWriMo. I am delighted the title pulled you in. The basil plant may be the most emotionally burdened witness in the poem, honestly.

      Delete
  3. eric here. great use of details. esp like the fog editing the city

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eric. “The fog editing the city” was one of my favourite images too, so I am really glad it landed with you.

      Delete
  4. I really love this... so innovative... the way the fog enters reminds me a bit of the beginning of Bleak House... the way it enters the house (or the city) changing it really works well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, brudberg. I love that you mentioned Bleak House! What a generous comparison. <3

      Delete
  5. These moments are the best.
    Where you stand at the balcony or anywhere alone
    With the silence and the beauty of something small like fog
    And you don't feel like to need to be anything or anyone.

    Beautifully written
    I especially love the ending
    or actually every line after the,
    There's mercy in this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Reelika. You understood exactly the feeling I was trying to hold, you know, that rare moment when silence asks nothing from you. <3

      Delete
  6. Stunning, Oizys. But then, of course it is! This stanza especially puts me right in my body as I read it and relate.

    "I stand there,
    holding a cup of tea
    gone cold from wilful neglect,
    and watch the world
    misplace itself politely."

    Like I said, stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sunra. That stanza is very close to my own body too! Cold tea, wilful neglect, and the world politely misplacing itself is basically a full weather report from my nervous system. So, I am reached glad it reached you too!

      Delete

Comments for this blog are held for moderation before they are published to the blog.

I will read them and publish them. Be patient and do not fear to pour your heart into it.