Mirrors symbolize reversals, reflection, and distortions. What is your relationship with mirrors? Can you think of a time that a mirror frightened you? If you slipped through your looking glass, what would your mirrorworld look like?
Example Poem: “To the Mirror” by Jorge Luis Borges (translated by Tony Barnstone) from Monster Verse: Poems Human and Inhuman(Aal)
To the Mirror
Why is it you persist, incessant mirror?
Why duplicate me, to the smallest gesture
of my hand? Why suddenly reflect there
in the shadows? You, uncanny brother,
you are the other me that ancient Greek
spoke of. You’ve watched forever. From a glaze
of old and watery crystal do you gaze
at me? It’s useless to be blind. You seek
me and it’s worse that I can’t see, can’t tell;
that really is your horror, magic thing
who multiplies the cipher of our bing
then sucks our blessings into your strange well.
And when I’m dead, you’ll duplicate another,
another, then another and another. . .
~Jorge Luis Borges
Why does the mirror horrify the speaker in this poem?
Prompt: Write your poem as a message to your mirror. What will you ask it? What do you need to tell it? What are the deepest fears that it brings up for you?
Possible form: A Palindrome poem, or mirror poem. This is a poem split along a vertical center where the words on the left are mirrored on the right.
~
Message to the Mirror
Message to the Mirror
mirror, listen
breath steady, shoulders lowered
latch easy, door closed
night humming, street quiet
city near, leaving farther
mother resting, hope stubborn
room small, courage taller
animal within, fear chewed slowly
tongue patient, prayers salted
eyes open, truth welcomed
name given kindly, image forgiven
I am here, you are here
we are; are we
we are; are we
here are you, here am I
forgiven image, kindly given name
welcomed truth, open eyes
salted prayers, patient tongue
slowly chewed fear, within animal
taller courage, small room
stubborn hope, resting mother
farther leaving, near city
quiet street, humming night
closed door, easy latch
lowered shoulders, steady breath
listen mirror
~ Oizys.
NOTE: I tried a full “mirror” build: the second half reverses the first, line-by-line and word-by-word, with a hinge at we are; are we. I kept grammar natural, so it reads clean both ways. Not a letter-palindrome, but more a true mirror poem. Try reading bottom-up. This one is an experiment in 'palindroming'. The poem mirrors itself after the hinge line we are; are we: every line in the second half is the first half reversed, word-by-word (e.g., “latch easy, door closed” ↔ “closed door, easy latch”). I avoided awkward inversions, let commas do the balancing, and aimed for sense and flow in both directions. It’s a mirror poem, not a strict character palindrome and that was the trade: coherence over stunt. Read it down, then read it up. If you find a line that bumps, tell me, I’ll [try my best to] tune it without breaking the mirror.
~ Oizys.
NOTE: I tried a full “mirror” build: the second half reverses the first, line-by-line and word-by-word, with a hinge at we are; are we. I kept grammar natural, so it reads clean both ways. Not a letter-palindrome, but more a true mirror poem. Try reading bottom-up. This one is an experiment in 'palindroming'. The poem mirrors itself after the hinge line we are; are we: every line in the second half is the first half reversed, word-by-word (e.g., “latch easy, door closed” ↔ “closed door, easy latch”). I avoided awkward inversions, let commas do the balancing, and aimed for sense and flow in both directions. It’s a mirror poem, not a strict character palindrome and that was the trade: coherence over stunt. Read it down, then read it up. If you find a line that bumps, tell me, I’ll [try my best to] tune it without breaking the mirror.
I like how you address the mirror to listen, making me, the reader, into a mirror. Somehow the second half, though the same words, felt very different, like it was building momentum. I really enjoyed your mirror poem.
ReplyDeleteI love that you caught that shift in the second half; I wanted it to feel like the same words were slowly starting to "hear themselves differently". The mirror becomes both listener and echo, which felt fitting. Thank you for seeing it that way, it means a lot.
DeleteOops. Sorry. I didn't mean for my comment to be anonymous.
ReplyDeleteMaria, I guessed it was you even before you said so, haha. Thanks for commenting.
Delete