One safety pin fastened to the inside of a wobbly long top.
One phone charged to 63%, which is not enough, but is treated like faith.
One friend who knows the cab number, the driver’s name, the route, and the exact hour to begin worrying.
One lipstick that has outlived three men and two versions of the self.
One packet of tissues.
One packet of lies: I’m almost there. / My brother is waiting outside. / I don’t live alone. / I have already sent your photo.
One key held between fingers like an ancestral weapon nobody officially taught us.
One mother’s voice stored in the body: sit properly, come home early, do not argue with strangers, do not become a story people tell in lowered voices.
One father’s silence after the screams folded into the wallet like an old receipt for a life nobody returned.
One group chat named something harmless where women exchange weather reports on men, streets, bosses, landlords, family functions, and which uncle not to sit beside.
One chocolate bar for blood sugar, rage, or the sudden need to remain human.
One screenshot.
One backup screenshot.
One joke made too quickly so fear does not get ideas.
One scarf adjusted, not for modesty, just for strategy.
One woman at the bus stop making eye contact with another woman and becoming, briefly, anti-establishment infrastructure.
One memory of being told not to make a scene.
One scene, kept ready.
One small private terror that the city is not the cage, only the corridor outside it.
One small private terror that leaving home might not mean leaving inheritance.
One small private terror that I have not left home; I have only learnt to carry it more quietly. I have only become more portable.
One recurring thought while waiting for the lift, the salary, the apology, the visa, the miracle: what if this is not a phase but the whole arrangement?
One small, stubborn tenderness: the little girl on the bus offering her seat to someone more tired than herself.
One performative prayer, not to be protected, but to arrive without having to become stone.
One ordinary evening.
One ordinary survival.
One ordinary woman unlocking her door, removing her earrings, and entering her own name again.
~ Oizys.
Written for dVerse Meeting the Bar: Unlock with lists, hosted by Björn Rudberg on Thursday, May 14th, 2026. The prompt asked us to use lists in poetry as structure, metaphor, inventory, negation, expansion, or simply as a way to begin. This is a list poem. Also a handbag audit. Also, unfortunately, a syllabus.
Friday, May 15, 2026
[dVerse] May 15th - Inventory for Staying Alive in Public
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Your list hits hard, digs deep, tells truths, in more than one inventory item it felt personal, is beautifully composed. I will remember it long after this day ends.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Helen. This means a lot. I think this one came out as such a list because I treated it more as evidence collected from the body. I am deeply touched that it stayed with you. ❤️
DeleteAn evocative, intimate, disturbing, and entertaining list...I had to laugh over this: "One memory of being told not to make a scene. One scene, kept ready." Good write!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Lynn. I am especially glad that line made you laugh! That little laugh-before-the-knife-twist feeling was exactly the territory I hoped the poem could stand in. “One scene, kept ready” feels unfortunately practical, doesn’t it?
DeleteThis is one essential list, the best I've read for this challenge. The city is not the cage -- neither is the beloved -- nor really the poem, but it's a corridor we get to traffic exactly as we are. Now for that list ....
ReplyDeleteThank you, Brendan. I love what you said about the corridor! That feels very close to what I was trying to reach. A way of moving through as oneself, with all the necessary inventories tucked under the arm. Your reading means a lot.
DeleteDamn! The days are long! Some many great lines in this poem. I'm going to come back to it to see what it might inspire. Nicely written 👏 My favourite so far.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Shaun. I’m so glad this one stayed with you. The days really are long. So, so long. And apparently the lists we carry inside them are even longer. I would love to see what it inspires if you do come back to it.
DeleteThis is a list that I would prefer not to have to do... but alas there are too many men who does not understand this, to be seen as potential perpetrator when walking at night,
ReplyDeleteYes, exactly. It is a list I wish did not need to exist. At all. That burden of calculating danger, of reading streets and bodies and shadows, is SOOO exhausting. And you are right! So much of it comes from being made to carry other people’s possible violence in advance.
DeleteLove your list!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much! I love your website.
Delete