Monday, October 27, 2025

OctPoWriMo Day 27. Two Questions Before the Clock Strikes

OctPoWriMo Day 27. Too Big To Fail

One thing I love about poetry is the way poems can manipulate time. A poem can represent the real time it takes to read it, or an entire lifetime. It can encapsulate the past, present and future, or one fleeting second.

Example Poem: “Days” by Philip Larkin from Collected Poems(Aal)

Days

What are days for?
Days are where we live
They come, they wake us
Time and time over
They are to be happy in
Where can we live but days?

Ah, solving that question
Brings the priest and the doctor
In their long coats
Running over the fields.

~Philip Larkin

How does this poem use and explore time?

Prompt: Write a brief, condensed poem that asks two related questions. End by describing something unexpected that will happen when one of the questions is answered.

Possible form: Nonet – A nine line poem that starts with nine syllables down to one.

~

Two Questions Before the Clock Strikes

10 Why do mornings always return to us? (why do morn-ings al-ways re-turn to us)
9 Where does night go when it sleeps each day? (where does night go when it sleeps each day)
8 Tea cools; ink forgets the message. (tea cools ink for-gets the mes-sage)
7 Calendars dissolve softly. (cal-en-dars dis-solve soft-ly)
6 Hours unspool mindlessly. (hours unspool mind-less-ly)
5 Until that one sound... (un-til that one sound)
4 Night folds its wings (night folds its wings)
3 Answer found: (an-swer found)
2 Cold rings. (cold rings)
1 Snow. (snow)

~ Oizys.

P.S. I was having fun with the cascading syllables until the counter drove me completely mad. I surrendered at “one.”

2 comments:

  1. I found the answers to your questions—Cold rings. Snow.—surprising. I'll be thinking on that for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maria, that means a lot. I wasn’t sure if those answers would land more like a whisper or a punch. Cold and snow felt like nature’s way of shutting the door quietly rather than slamming it. Glad it lingered for you.

      Delete

Comments for this blog are held for moderation before they are published to the blog.

I will read them and publish them. Be patient and do not fear to pour your heart into it.